A print defect where an unwanted image appears, often as a dark line in a light or solid print area. Tracking occurs when two print stations, which are often next to each other, interact.
- Excessive ink application;
- Dirty printing plates;
- Ink viscosity too high;
- Ink drying too slowly;
- Die cutting or folding operations:
- Clean and replace doctor blade;
- Clean plates;
- Reduce viscosity;
- Increase drying speed of ink by reducing viscosity, reducing ink film thickness with better metering. Decrease machine speed and increase dryer temperature;
- Optimise converting operations: Replace or trim/grind anvil blankets;
- Remove die rubber, replace knives, reduce die pressure, replace anvil blankets;
- Replace or adjust folding belts;
- Adjust or remove to minimise impact;
- Move or lift belts from print areas.